Digital Signage is everywhere you go these days. It is in shop windows, airports, hotel foyers, and just about every McDonalds. Even hospitals and schools are now utilising the power of Digital screens for marketing.
But what exactly is Digital Signage?
Broadly speaking, digital signage is any signage that utilises digital technology to display content. Often this involves the use of LCD or LED technology to display moving or static images, videos, animations or even information.
Smart screens are predominantly used indoors, either facing outwards (generally as “attract screens”) or inward (“engagement screens”) often to provide product information. However they can also be used outdoors, and in just about any weather conditions.
Digital Signage: Bits and Pieces
To the untrained eye, digital signage may simply look like a screen being supported by a wall bracket or mounting pole with some web images scrolling. Nothing could be further from the truth. Creating an effective digital signage network is not that easy, but when done properly is a terrific marketing tool. Here are some of the key items you will need to consider:
- This includes not only the screen but also items such as the mounting devices, backing plates, and enclosures.
Media Player & Content Management System (CMS)
- If you want a quality content plan to attract and engage shoppers, a media player with a CMS loaded to allow you flexibility and scalability to deliver messages at the right touchpoints at the right time is essential. This kit permits the screen to run any type of file you want and allows you to change the content remotely.
- This is the key to having successful digital signage. Quality, relevant content captures the attention of the passer-by and ensures they engage with your content. Unfortunately, this is also an ongoing cost, as it needs to be updated to achieve the communication objectives and keep passing traffic engaged.
- In order to have the power to manage and control the content remotely, connection to WiFi is essential. Otherwise, you will need to manually update the media players every time you want to make a change to your content and that defeats the purpose of a digital marketing network.
- In addition to the actual install of your digital screens, you will also need to consider things such as site inspections, council approval, site maps and whether you will need an electrician or simply an accredited installer.
- This involves the purchasing of all of the physical components mentioned above, including the screen, media player, wall brackets or mounts and backing plate.
What about you?
The most crucial question you need to ask yourself before starting your digital signage journey is:
- What is the objective of your digital advertising network?
Do you want to increase brand awareness or promote your special deals or new offers? Are you looking to increase staff efficiency or build foot traffic into your store?
There are numerous answers to this question and there is no “right” or “wrong” answer per se, but be aware that the answer you give will affect just about every decision made in regards to your digital advertising network, from screen type to the content displayed to the hardware procured.
It is so important to know the answer to this question, as it will not only ensure you get the right equipment but are able to maximise your Return on Investment (ROI) on your digital signage.
- Another important question you must ask yourself is “What are my resource constraints”?
This question will also have a significant impact on the hardware, software and content options available to you and you are better off having an open discussion with your partner to ensure you get the optimum solution for your budget.
The last word
Ultimately, investing in digital signage is a complicated process that requires significant planning and preparation but can be a retail game changer. By treating digital advertising as an owned TV channel and the opportunities that presents you can get one step ahead of the game and ensure you maximise the ROI of your digital signage.
If you would like any more information about Digital Signage, get in contact and we will be more than happy to assist you with your inquiries!